Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Best Vanilla Iced Coffee!

for Lisa

A strong claim, I know.  But it's really good and pretty easy!

This recipe has multiple steps that you can start days in advance.  I always have 2 items on hand:



-Coffee Ice Cubes (Not necessary but makes it less watery)





-and Vanilla simple syrup.  (Similar to the syrup they use at Starbucks!).


I always make extra coffee on Sunday mornings and pour the excess into ice cube trays.

The recipe for the vanilla simple syrup is below.

I usually anticipate that I am going to drink iced coffee several hours to a day ahead of time.  That way, I have time to make a normal cup of coffee, and either sit it on the counter to cool or put in the fridge overnight:)



Once I am ready for the coffee, I start by putting several ice cubes in a cup, followed by about 1-2 tablespoons of the simple syrup.


Sometimes, I will add a squirt of this delicious caramel sauce.  It is the closest I have ever found to the kind they use at Starbucks.  I found this in Walmart in the coffee aisle.  It just adds a tiny bit more sweetness!

 
After the optional caramel sauce, I pour in the coffee (not pictured).  Now comes the good stuff.

 You can use your favorite creamer.  I personally love this local half & half.  It is SO rich and very creamy.  For a long time I was using plain milk until my husband brought this home one day.  I have to say, it makes such a difference!


 Add the optional straw and mix up!  It goes great with any breakfast and tastes so refreshing on these warm summer days!

What I love about iced coffee is you can drink it fast!  Which means you can wake up even faster:)



A great outdoor space always helps too!


The Best Vanilla Iced Coffee
-Few cups of brewed coffee, chilled (however many cups you'd like)
-Several coffee ice cubes
-1-2 tbs Vanilla Simple Syrup (recipe below)
-Splash of Milk, creamer, or half & half
-Caramel sauce, optional

1.) Start with a cup mostly full of ice cubes.  Pour in 1-2 tbs of simple syrup.  Can increase/decrease depending on desired sweetness.

2.) Pour in chilled coffee, leaving room for creamer.

3.)  Add creamer.  Enjoy!

Vanilla Simple Syrup
-Water
-Sugar
-Vanilla Extract

1.)  Add one cup of water and one cup of sugar to a saucepan.  Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat.

2.) Once boiling, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.

3.)  Remove from heat.  Once mixture has cooled, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.  Stir well.

4.) Store in refrigerator until ready for use.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

YES! Can't wait to try this!